The Farmers & Merchants State Bank has always had a special commitment to the growth of Northwest Ohio since its inception in 1897. The only name change in our history was in 1919, when the founding directors elected to change from a private bank to a state chartered bank. At that time, the name changed from Farmers and Merchants Bank to The Farmers & Merchants State Bank.
The F&M headquarters has always been in Archbold, Fulton County, Ohio. F&M began expanding its presence in Fulton County in 1973 by opening a full service office on North Shoop Avenue in Wauseon, Ohio. By the end of the 1980s, F&M had four full service offices in Fulton County.
Expansion of the Bank into Williams County began in 1981, with the opening of the Stryker and West Unity offices. By the end of the 1986, F&M had five offices in Fulton County and three offices in Williams County. F&M further expanded in the 1990s by opening an office in Henry County. During 2001, F&M opened an office in Defiance County, and in 2003 we opened our Operations Center in Fulton County.